Malaysia Airlines and Prime Minister Najib Razak informed family members of passengers on Flight 370 on Monday that new satellite data concludes the plane, which vanished from radar screens on March 8, had crashed in the southern Indian Ocean.
Relatives of passengers and crew have been informed of the ‘heartbreaking’ news that Flight MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean, the Malaysian Prime Minister has announced.
The plane had 227 passengers aboard, including two infants, and an all-Malaysian crew of 12. The passengers included 154 citizens from China or Taiwan, 38 Malaysians, seven Indonesians, six Australians, five Indians, four French and three Americans, as well as two citizens each from Canada, New Zealand and Ukraine and one each from Austria, Italy, the Netherlands and Russia.
The list of Chinese passengers aboard the missing flight included the names of artists who had attended a meeting in Kuala Lumpur, said the newspaper Beijing News, quoted by The New York Times. Other reports said the missing included members of a returning delegation of Buddhists.
Hamid Ramlan posted a photo of her daughter and son0in-law posed with relatives before taking off from Kuala Lumpur airport. The two Canadian passengers were identified as mining executive Muktesh Mukherjee and his wife Xiaomo Bai. Philip Wood, 51, is the only adult passenger onboard flight MH370 who was using a U.S. passport. Toddlers Leo Meng, 2, and Nicole Meng, 4, were two other Americans onboard the missing aircraft.
A spokesman for the airline said, ”We would like to inform everyone that these are the people onboard our aircraft. All the families and next of kin have been informed.” The passengers list shows that at least five Indian citizens boarded the plane from Kuala Lumpur. They are Chandrika Sharma, Prahlad Shirsat, Chetana Vinod Kolekar, Vinod Suresh Kolekar and Swanand Vinod Kolekar.
Malaysia Airlines also sent a text message to relative on March 24, 2014 which you can below.
“Malaysia Airlines deeply regrets that we have to assume that MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean. As you will hear in the next hour from Malaysia’s Prime Minister, new analysis of satellite data suggests the plane went down in the Southern Indian Ocean.”
“On behalf of all of us at Malaysia Airlines and all Malaysians, our prayers go out to all the loved ones of the 226 passengers and of our 13 friends and colleagues at this enormously painful time. We know there are no words that we or anyone else can say which can ease your pain.”
“We will continue to provide assistance and support to you, as we have done since MH370 first disappeared in the early hours of 8 March, while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. The ongoing multinational search operation will continue, as we seek answers to the questions which remain. Alongside the search for MH370, there is an intensive investigation, which we hope will also provide answers.”
“We would like to assure you that Malaysia Airlines will continue to give you our full support throughout the difficult weeks and months ahead. Once again, we humbly offer our sincere thoughts, prayers and condolences to everyone affected by this tragedy.”
For families, some of whom had held out hope their relatives somehow were still alive, the news appeared to be devastating. At a briefing for relatives in Beijing, some were overcome and had to be taken from a hotel on stretchers. In Kuala Lumpur, a woman walked out of a briefing for families in tears.
“My son, my daughter-in-law and granddaughter were all on board. All three family members are gone. I am desperate!” a woman said outside the Beijing briefing. Wang Zhen, whose father and mother, Wang Linshi and Xiong Yunming, were aboard the flight as part of a group of Chinese artists touring Malaysia, heard the announcement on television from another hotel where he had been staying.
Sarah Bajc, the partner of the only American aboard the flight, Philip Wood, canceled all media interviews after the announcement. “I need closure to be certain, but cannot keep on with public efforts against all odds,” she wrote. “I still feel his presence, so perhaps it was his soul all along.”
Nan Jinyan, whose brother-in-law Yan Ling, a medical company engineer, was aboard the flight on a business trip, said she was prepared for the worst when she heard the Malaysian prime minister would hold a news conference. ‘This is a blow to us, and it is beyond description,’ Nan said.
Based on new analysis, the UK’s Air Accidents Investigation Branch and Inmarsat, the UK company that provided satellite data, “have concluded that MH370 flew along the southern corridor, and that its last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth,” Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said on March 24, 2014.
Najib Razak told a press conference new analysis by the UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch and tracking firm Inmarsat suggested the flight ended in the southern Indian Ocean.
Here is Prime Minister Najib Razak’s full statement.
“This evening I was briefed by representatives from the UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB). They informed me that Inmarsat, the UK company that provided the satellite data which indicated the northern and southern corridors, has been performing further calculations on the data.
“Using a type of analysis never before used in an investigation of this sort, they have been able to shed more light on MH370’s flight path. Based on their new analysis, Inmarsat and the AAIB have concluded that MH370 flew along the southern corridor and that its last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth.”
“This is a remote location. Far from any possible landing sites. It is therefore with deep sadness and regret that I must inform you that, according to this new data, flight MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean. We will be holding a press conference tomorrow with further details. In the meantime, we wanted to inform you of this new development at the earliest opportunity.
“We share this information out of a commitment to openness and respect for the families, two principles which have guided this investigation. Malaysia Airlines have already spoken to the families of the passengers and the crew to inform them of this development.”
“For them the past few weeks have been heartbreaking. I know this news must be harder still. i urge the media to respect their privacy and allow them the space they need at this very difficult time.”
On the missing day, a joint search and rescue effort, later reported as the largest in history, was initiated in the Gulf of Thailand and the South China Sea.
On 11 March, the search area was extended to the Strait of Malacca.
On 12 March, authorities also began to search the Andaman Sea, northwest of the Strait of Malacca. Subsequently, new information led to the search area being expanded to include the Indian Ocean south of Sumatra, as well as significant tracts of land.
On 15 March, in the wake of media reports that US investigators believed that the aircraft had headed west back across the Malay Peninsula after air traffic control lost contact and that a satellite had continued to receive “pings” from the aircraft for several hours, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak announced that satellite-related data showed that the aircraft’s ACARS and transponder had been switched off and that radar data indicated that the aircraft’s “movements are consistent with the deliberate action of someone on the plane.”
As of 18 March, there were 26 countries participating in the revised search, focusing on a northern locus from the Kazakh–Turkmen border to northern Thailand, as well as a southern locus from Indonesia to the southern Indian Ocean.
On 20 March, the Prime Minister of Australia, Tony Abbott, announced in parliament that two objects that might be related to the aircraft, one of them 24 m (79 ft) long, had been spotted by a satellite in the Indian Ocean 2,500 km (1,600 mi) south-west of Perth (coordinates 44°03’02?S 91°13’27?E), where the ocean depth could reach 5,000 metres (16,000 ft).
Malaysia Airlines Flight 360 Victims List: Passengers Who Died In Southern Indian Ocean